This is a question that we are asked a lot. There is no perfect answer, but here is what we tell our clients:
In presenting your claim and communicating with the insurance company adjuster, do you know the answers the following questions:
- Do you know what you are supposed to say?
- Do you know what you should never say?
- Do you know what documents the insurance company is entitled to and what documents you are not required to provide?
- Do you know whether you should give a recorded statement?
- Do you sign paperwork to allow the insurance company to access your medical records?
- If and when you settle, do you know how to handle payment of medical bills? Do you know what a lien is and how to determine if it is valid?
- Lastly, do you know how much your case is really worth and/or all of the steps to take to get full value for your case?
If you cannot answer “YES” to every one of these questions, you may very well be hurting your case (sometimes beyond repair), if you do not have an attorney.
At Darryl Breaux & Associates, we are happy to talk to you about your case—no charge, and then you can decide how you want to proceed.